Skip to main content

Dream a Little Dream

Brazil is huge. 87% the size of the United States. If you had a little less than six months to experience the United States, where would you go? What would you do? 

Would you try to see all the famous landmarks- Yellowstone, the Black Hills? 
The historical spots- the Liberty Bell, state capitals, Alcatraz?
The beautiful, famous architecture or the best beaches?

 New York alone has 260 registered landmarks. Would you just spend the six months in the US in one state, really getting to know New York, and through that gain a better understanding of the country as a whole? Or would you try to hit all 50 states and only get a piece of each?

That's what I've been trying to figure out. I'll be in Brazil for almost six months, exactly what do I want to see? How much can I experience? I think a lot of that will be determined when I get there, going on day trips with my classmates, taking advantage of cheap flights or jetting off to a special concert or festival. Speaking of which, I want to research those... maybe another post. 

There are, however, a few spots in Brazil which I know I will regret if I don't make it a point to see. I've started to list them so that I plan ahead and find my way there: my top 8 destinations, in no particular order, inconveniently scattered across the country. 


1. Christ the Redeemer Statue, Cristo Redentor  Rio de Janiero

This statue is 131 ft tall, on top of the Corcovado Mountain, which is itself 2,300 ft tall. It's only the 5th largest statue of Jesus in the world, but it is an amazing sight, and has become a symbol for Brazilian Christianity, and has become a symbol for the country itself.

       Cristo Redentor has been highlighted in plenty of movies, video games and TV shows, and is said to have the best view of Rio, in addition to producing some amazing pictures itself.

2. Ipanema Beach, Rio
This ones pretty trivial, but a beach is my own little heaven, and these seem like God's own little heaven. Ipanema Beach is at the base of Sugarloaf Mountain, which is #4, and Copocabana, #3, is neighboring.

Ipanema was listed by the travel channel as the sexiest beach in the world. Let me begin by saying that's probably the scariest aspect, as midwestern winter and christmas dinners have not produced the world's sexiest tourist. Ipanema was made famous in the 60s with this song, which I still adore, and I think shows an interesting contrast from Ipanema's history and present fame. Regardless, it's a beautiful beach. 


Ipanema is next to Sugarloaf mountain, and skyscrapers creep almost right unto the beach. It's gorgeous. 


3. Copocabana Beach, Rio

Copocabana is likewise beautiful, but I hadn't thought too much about it until recently. Copacabana posted 26 crosses on its shores, along with an American flag, flowers, and a note 'In Brazil, we understand the pain of senseless violence. We grieve the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Connecticut.' That got me.

 I know America has a huge global presence, and that we've been supportive to other countries in their times of need- Haiti after the hurricane, Japan, India, Sri Lanka and other countries after the tsunami- but this is something else. Just a quiet memorial for these children and teachers seems so touching and appropriate. A spot for them in paradise, and a reminder for those in paradise that not everyone is so fortunate. 

This inspired a little more research into the spot, and Copocabana is remarkable in a lot of ways.  It has been home to the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup multiple times, hosts beach concerts for the like of Lenny Kravitz and the Rolling Stones... and even has popular free concerts. Copacabana also titles one of Barry Manilow's songs, which I honestly have yet to determine whether that contributes to or diminishes from the beach's overall charms. Guess I'll have to decide while playing the song on the beach itself!
4. Sugarloaf Mountain, & Lapa Neighborhood, Rio de Janeiro
I know the two of these aren't really much independently, so I'm combining them. They're definitely places I want to explore, but they aren't as impressive as my other highlights. 
A hike. That's what I've been missing. A nice, long, semi-arduous hike, peaking at a beautiful view for your reward. There are, of course, bondinhos, or cable cars, to take travelers up and down the mountain, which is actually only 1,299 ft tall, but that basically defeats the point.  I want to earn those beautiful pictures, and Sugarloaf Mountain will be worth it. I also think this is a common tourism spot... so I'd like to see it a little while into my trip, once I've gained some fluency, so I'm not just another tourist. 
Lapa.  This is a cultural and historic hotspot for Rio, known for its architecture and even its nightlife. I'd primarily like to see the Arco da Lapa and enjoy some of the street music. Lapa houses the spirit of brazilian music (other than Salvador's samba), which may cover some of the historic and cultural aspects of Brazil that I'd otherwise miss. 
5. Iguaçu Falls-  Border of Argentina and Brazil
This. Is. Amazing. The Iguaçu Falls are incredibly beautiful, and though they are one of the more difficult destinations for me to reach, I will absolutely think the trip is incomplete until I can see the falls. 
 A picture says a thousand words, doesn't it? I could go on for novels, and I haven't even been there to capture my own voice yet. This place is its own paradise, and I know I've been overusing that word, 'paradise', throwing it around and desensitizing it. But I absolutely mean it in this context. Beautiful. 

The falls are the border between Argentina and Brazil, and house over 430 species of birds and 70 species of mammals. This includes toucans, jaguars, capuchin and black howler monkeys... as if the view wasn't enough. 


6. The Amazon Rainforest

Ever heard of it? It's the largest and most species-rich tropical rainforest in the world, inhabiting 9 nations in South America, 60% of its area lying in Brazil. My map isn't exactly accurate as I kind of scribbled the general area of the rainforest, but the concept remains constant: it's huge, and it covers a lot of Brazil. 


                                                                               One in ten species found across the world lives in the Amazon rainforest. One in ten species.
With this statistic, there are a few exciting prospects: 2,200 different types of fish, 427 mammals, 428 amphibians, 1, 294 types of birds... but there's also some drawbacks. 


 2.5 million drawbacks just to start:  that's the number of different species of insects. 378 species of reptiles, and beyond that some serious hazards, including jaguars, cougars, anacondas, electric eels, piranhas, poison dart frogs and vampire bats. 

There also seems to be some disturbing congruencies between the Amazon rainforest and the fire swamp in the Princess Bride. One of the obstacles that Westley and the Princess Bride have to overcome is the infamous Rodents of Unusual Size.  The Amazon, meanwhile, is home to the largest rodent in the world, the capybara. 

So there's some nasty aspects. There's some amazing ones. There's some nasty ones that are still amazing. To be honest, I'm not sure which direction to run, seeing as this rose seems to have thorns even on its petals. 


                                                                                      That's a lie, I do know which way to run. A rose with thorns on its petals? That's a rare beauty. A once in a lifetime experience.               
   It obviously requires preparations and precautions, but the Amazon seems like it's the most alive place on this planet and I plan on living it. 







7. Lençóis Maranhenses National Park




Lençóis Maranhenses is a marvel. It looks like a desert, but technically is not because it has a rain season at the beginning of each year. This rain season fills the valleys between sand dunes with fresh water, so the park is essentially sand dunes upon sand dunes with lagoons speckled throughout. It's strange, and it's beautiful. It also covers a ridiculous amount of land.


8. Canyon de Xingó

I can't find too much on this spot, at least not in English. From what I can gather, its another of Brazil's natural beauties in another form, this one coming with plenty of opportunities for adventure sports. Ziplining, rock climbing, trekking, abseiling, rappeling... adventures simply waiting for me. 





Canyon de Xingó, along with the rest of these places, presents an amazing opportunity. Each spot seems so beautiful, so awe-inspiring, so lively and free. Seems to eliminate any possibility of discomfort, unhappiness, really any negative emotions at all. Salvador is known as the capital of Joy, but I can definitely see arguments for each of these places, and I cannot wait for the opportunity to explore them. 







Comments